Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Saturday, August 23, 2008

How to measure the belly...

I went to the doctor for my monthly checkup. I guess having the latest appointment of the day works out because we were in and out in about 30 minutes. I signed in and they promptly took my payment and sent me back. We had to make our first "delivery bill" payment. It's like a car note!!! I stepped onto the scale to find that I have gained 2 pounds since my last visit, which makes 4 pounds total that I have gained. It's hard to believe that I'm almost 6 months along and have only gained 4 pounds. The nurse then started taking my blood pressure, using the "extra large" cuff. When she realized that was too big, she said "Well, I guess I didn't need the large one, after all. Your weight is in your height." Still not real sure what to think about that one. Then she proceeded to ask me if I had eaten lunch because my key tones were low. I asked her what that meant and she replied "Well, it's like saying that you're starving, but I know you're not starving." (There was another poke at my "size".) Then, we went in to see Dr. Wilson and he began talking about my weight gain. He, too, was a little surprised that I had only gained 4 pounds. I guess because of my "size", everyone thought I'd be pretty big by now. To be honest, though, I thought I would, too. But, Dr. Wilson assured me that mother nature would probably catch up to me towards the end. He was just concerned that I may be dieting, but I'm not. I promise. I just don't have as much of an appetite. Plus, I think that not drinking has caused me to lose some weight. Well, they tried to get another ultrasound picture since he wasn't cooperating last time. But, again, he wouldn't pose. He was too squirmy...which I've been feeling a lot of lately. It's becoming stronger and Dr. Wilson said that Matt should be able to feel it soon. He's been poking me alot today. I also found out something else interesting. I asked Dr. Wilson to measure my belly because I wasn't sure I was doing it right. He asked me how I was measuring it and I said around my waist. He laughed and told me that I wouldn't be able to measure my own belly anyway because I have to lay down. I didn't know you were supposed to measure it from the top of your pelvic bone to the top of your uterus. Now I know that my belly is 19cm. I learn something new every day!

3 comments:

April S. said...

Thanks for the update. 4 lbs at 6 months is great. Pregnancy is so different for everyone (as I am sure you hear alot), but when I was pregnant with Tatum, I gained 41 total and 20 of it came AFTER 32 weeks. I am trying to prevent that this time.
As for measuring your belly...the dr has to measure it up and down for medical reasons, but I am measuring mine around so I can see how much I grow.
Glad to hear all is still going well with your growing baby.(Sorry for the long comment)

Jennifer said...

I'm sure your ketones are fine. Sometimes they show up in your urine when your body is breaking down fat for energy and sometimes they are present when you do strenuous exercise. Hopefully your not exercising, but maybe if you have lifted something heavy. They may also be a fluke! There is a small chance of error.

Some sisterly advice~make sure you are eating! And your eating healthy...I know you are not one for sweets, but you know diabetes run in our family. If you get gestational diabetes, your at a higher risk of Type II diabetes later. You know I'm almost there myself! Love you and I will update my blog later! LOL

Anonymous said...

yay for you!! it is weird that your doctor is dr. wilson because in 5 years i will be dr wilson... wow.. anyway.. hey i need your address.. love you guys! glad all is well! miss you!